Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day -4 through -3.......Otherwise known as Chemo day 2 and 3

Well yesterday went pretty good. The doctors seem surprised at how well J is tolerating the chemo. He did have some nausea yesterday and today. They increased his lasix yesterday to maybe take off some more water or to just keep up because he gained two pounds from Thursday to Friday. The good news is that its working because he lossed a pound from yesterday to today! He is fighting me a little on the mouth care, they want him to use 3 different mouth washes, one every two hours while he is awake, the others 4 times a day. Its alot but its to supposed to keep the mouth sores at bay..I suppose only time will tell. He is also fighting me on getting up and out of bed. They want him walking ten minutes 3 times a day. I can maybe get him out of bed for 10 minutes a day. I try to keep explaining to him that he is just hurting himself by laying in bed but he says that he is tired and in pain and he just wants to sleep. There is not much I can do other than keep trying to get him up to walk. Most of the chemo's he is on cause pain as a side effect so I can only imagine that taking high doses of these cause. We should be getting a consult with pain mangement to help with this. Funny thing yesterday, they decided that after two days J was a fall risk....really two days after he has been admitted. HMM So they put on a yellow bracelet and set an alarm on his bed that would sound when he would get out and they would come help. Again I am still trying to figure out what the tiny nurses are going to do if my 6ft 8in 350 lb guy decides to take a tumble. Well they set and J got up to go to the restroom I waited for 5 minutes for them to come in and shut it off....they never did. I disarmed it, it was annoying. I also successfully got them to change us rooms. HAHA we are now in the "castle" and actually have room now. We dont have to trip over each other to move around the room. Instead of a 3 foot window, we now have about a 12foot window with a panoramic view of.....the other side of the building. Oh well at least J will be able to breath for the next 27 days or so. Jason got up with physical therapy yesterday for them to see how he was walking. He walked around the pods with no shirt on. Some lady made a comment about how Jason was showing off for all the ladies and he came back into the room and asked what was that all about, what was the big deal. I then had to break the news to him that he was on a GYN floor. His face was priceless. Well Jason is sleeping right now. Ill give hime another thirty minutes or so before I start bugging him again.....Prayers welcomed! Kimmy

1 comment:

  1. Clyta F. Harris, PhDAugust 14, 2010 at 9:56 PM

    Jason sounds like a typical male patient--especially an adult male. :D I'm glad he's tolerating the chemo as well as he is; prayer helps, even in the hardest times of life. One of the quotations in my devotionsl magazine last week said: "THE MORE WE HURT, THE CLOSER WE GET TO GOD." I'm sure this is true in some cases. May it be so with you and Jason. He is so blessed to have you by his side. I pray for your precious son that he will be able to understand why he can't see you as often as he wants to. His new picture is so cute.

    ReplyDelete