Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Here we go again....again

So, Im sitting next to Jason in bed thinking about how much I did not want to relay this information. I suppose if its hard for me type think about how hard it is for J to live it.
We went and saw Dr. Tannir this afternoon. We did not really get any news that we did not execpt to hear. Hoped not to but well you guys know the drill. It was confirmed that Jason's cancer is back and it is indeed Seminoma. So the next course of treatment that we did agree with is a High Dose Chemotherapy (HDC) followed by a Stem Cell Transplant (SCT). Alright from what I know from research, we will know more after meeting with the Transplant Coordinator, is he will get chemo actually tomorrow 5/19. This will be carboplatin and cytoxan. I dont know much about these yet I havent looked them up. Shocking I know. In about 3 weeks we will go and they will harvest stem cells. Jason will be using his own stem cells which makes this an autologous stem cell transplant. They harvest these by taking the blood out the catheter and putting in basically an apheresis machine (for those who have donated platelets, plasma, or red blood cells) and return the unused parts back to J. When they have enough cells for the two "rescues" they will then start HDC round 1. I dont know the chemo meds they will use but I know that it will be VERY HARSH! After that is complete I believe 3 days they will then push some stem cells back in to rescue his blood counts. Then we wait about 7-10 days and go back in for HDC round 2 and stem cell rescue. I really dont know all the logistics yet, we are being referred to another Doctor to do this procedure. Dr. Tannir and staff will still be the primary team but this is not his specialty.
Right now we are waiting to hear back if insurance will cover this and how much they will cover. I see some benefits in our future so get those ideas ready. I will not lie, the upcoming months are going to be very hard on Jason, me, Ronan, and our families. I know that everyone wants help and now more than ever I will be taking you up on those offers. Well...as soon as I figure out what we need help with. Prayers always welcomed. Oh and I will depart with some words of wisdom that a Chaplain at the hospital told me. Do not carry another's burden, you have one of your own. When he told me this it was a bit of an Ahh HAA moment for me.
Love you all,
Kimmy

1 comment:

  1. Kimmy-I am so sorry to hear this. I wish we lived closer so I could help. We are praying for Jason everyday. And thinking about you and the little guy. Stay strong.

    much love
    Krys and the boys

    ReplyDelete